Government statement on the Chemmini mass graves

The number of skeletons found in the Chemmini mass grave has increased to 565, and further legal action regarding the excavations will be taken in accordance with court orders, Cabinet Media Spokesperson Minister Nalinda Jayatissa said.

Responding to questions raised by journalists on the progress of the investigations, he said that 8 more skeletons and one bone fragment were found on Monday (17). Accordingly, the total number of skeletons found so far is 565, and in addition, 45 other bone fragments have been found, the Minister said.

Also, journalists questioned the government, saying that photographs released from the excavation site show evidence that the victims were brutally murdered and buried without even their clothes.

The Minister was also asked why the authorities had not taken steps to obtain information from convicted former Lance Corporal Somaratne Rajapaksa, who had claimed to be able to identify other burial sites.

Responding to concerns raised about the pace of the investigation, the Minister said that further steps would be taken in accordance with court orders and witnesses would be called at the appropriate time.